A Book Club Of One

I've been in a book group for 12 years. Crazy, huh?

I first joined when I was looking for new friends in London -- well any friends, really. There are three of us original members left and I have made so many wonderful friends through this group over the years. I look forward every month to our meetings.

It's also been a great way to read books I never might never have read otherwise. Because I do love to read. And I go through phases, but most of the time, I do really make an effort to finish book club books. Because I find I gain more through reading books I wouldn't normally read and actually finishing them.


When it comes to my reading habits, in addition to book club books, I also -- literally -- tear through a lot of what I call "Mind, Body & Scroll" books. These would include non-fiction books about mental well-being, self-help, meditation, etc. (you can find my library of these recommended reads here). I never have a problem reading these books. They are like my comfort food.

But I think I keep up with these two categories to the detriment of a long list of fiction books that I really would like to be reading. I suppose I feel like that kind of reading is a luxury. Which is insane. What exactly am I waiting for?

Therefore, I have decided to make a curated list of 10 fiction books to read in 2016 (the list is at the bottom of this post).

How do you make sure that you read what you want to read? Or is this just a problem I have?

Also, lovely readers, what do you think about the new Mind, Body & Scroll look? Thanks to my fabulous designer Cynthia Wheeler. In my opinion, she has nailed it. Make sure to check out the amazing London skyline she designed for the blog footer.

I've also recently joined Instagram and although I'm just a rookie and have only posted three photos thus far (quality, not quantity?), if you want to follow me, the link is at the top the page along with my facebook and twitter links.

Ten fiction books I will be reading in 2016:

1. The World According to Garp by John Irving

2. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

3. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

4. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

5. Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler

6. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

7. My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

8. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

9. Home by Marilynne Robinson

10. The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments

Back to Top