Super Physio Returns

I haven't written about Super Physio for a very long time. When I first started this blog she featured heavily as initially it was about my very long and difficult struggle with chronic neck and back pain. (If you are interested in the back story, you can read the The Whole Story.)

But all you really need to know for now is that I suffered with chronic pain for many years and Super Physio helped me fix it -- although towards the end, to get better 100%, I had to help myself fix it.

I always knew, however, that if I got pregnant, I would go back to see her, to make sure that I didn't end up with any back or hip pain in pregnancy -- as it's common in normal women, and I happen to be hypermobile (i.e. bendy), meaning that I am even more at risk.

The bump - 34 weeks

It's been great to see her again. She really is a super lady, very knowledgeable, very calming too. I can't even hate her for giving me at least one hour of exercises to do daily -- split into two sessions: morning and night. I'm certainly not enjoying them, in fact, they are really getting really old at this point, since I've been doing them religiously since well before halfway through the pregnancy and I reached 35 weeks this past Wednesday.

I find it interesting as I haven't thought that much recently about the time in my life when I was in chronic pain -- it seems so long ago (I stopped seeing Super Physio in 2014). I'm a different person now. More sure of myself, more able to stand up for what I need and take care of myself, instead of crumbling into a heap of pain and fear.

And although there are of course disadvantages to being an (ahem) somewhat older mom, one of the main advantages I've found is that although pregnancy is clearly difficult -- I've suffered from pretty bad nausea, heartburn and of course the slog of hours on the floor doing my physio exercises -- it is definitely not the most difficult thing I've ever dealt with physically or emotionally.

Of course, I still have to make it through the last few weeks to term and of course, childbirth. So watch this space. But for now, I can at least be reminded of how far I've come since my chronic pain, and feel pretty incredulous that I've made it almost the whole way through a pregnancy without it returning. Super Physio can really hold onto her title.

No comments

Back to Top