Forget Blogging, Start A Podcast!

I've had a reader request! Someone who is thinking of blogging asked me for my top tips on getting started.

First though, I wanted to say that podcasting is definitely the new blogging, so I guess my top tip is forget the blog and start a podcast! This will make you very hip.


I'm not ready to do that yet -- unfortunately -- but watch this space. I need to practice saying "ummm" less first. I find myself really noticing it when podcasters do it, saying "ummm" and maybe even worse: "you know". So I've got to work on that. 

Still, I highly recommend blogging, even if you also start a podcast. And here are my current thoughts on the matter.

If I were starting out today, I might not pick blogger, but just because it's slightly limited in its blog-only capacity. For example, I've built a very basic author page on Wix which offers an easily customizable interface with a lot more design options. And it's very simple to set up a blog within your personal or business website this way. Squarespace is another similar service.

That said, it's a good idea to check out the most popular free blogging sites, which still are Wordpress and Blogger. I found this really good comparison table put together by Mike Wallagher of Start Blogging Online.

It of course depends on what you're planning to do. But I think the comforting thing is that nothing is set in stone. You can change platforms at some point, and you can also get a professional designer to help update your look on one of the free sites, which is frankly, much less expensive than paying for a hosted service (this is what I did last year -- thanks to Cynthia at NW Designs).

I think the most important thing is just to get started. You will learn along the way.

In terms of things like how often to blog, that's completely up to you, although I find that having a commitment in my mind of how often I "publish" helps. I try to post once a week which I find is a good rhythm with the other creative projects I'm working on, although of course things like work or travel or family sometimes gets in the way (I realize this irony of writing a blog about blogging when I haven't actually posted in about a month). But I try not to apologize for my hiatuses as I never want blogging to be a chore or just another thing to get off the to-do list.

If any of my fellow bloggers have their own tips, please do comment and share the knowledge. I can barely believe I've been doing this for nearly six years now. How time flies when you're having fun.

Photo credit: Evening via photopin (license)

No comments

Back to Top