My Reading Year 2020

In 2020 I read a measly 11 books. I'm not too upset about that as I'm amazed I managed to get any reading done at all. When goodreads told me in early January I read that many I thought to myself, what were they?

 

Unsurprisingly, three of out of the 11 were related to parenting, since as a new parent, that's something I'm trying to learn about it. And one of them was on potty training, which was essential. This isn't a parenting blog, so I won't go into any detail, but it was a good year to do this, what with having to be at home so much! 


The way we used to live (above). The way we live now (below).

Five of the books were book club books, as I made an attempt to keep up my reading so I could contribute to the group discussions (which happened virtually in 2020). I'm actually in two book groups now, something I have no business whatsoever in doing, as I can barely keep up with the reading for one. But a good friend asked me to join one she was starting up and I just really wanted to, so there you are. (I hope someone from my original book group reads this, as I've been too scared to tell them - feel like I'm cheating. Keep wanting to bring it up, and then I chicken out.)


The last three books were research for my fiction writing. There were also many, many abandoned attempts at reading other books - too many to discuss or list. Let's just chalk it up to the pandemic. The big category that was missing for me last year: fiction I want to read. I think that should be something to add more of in 2021. 


My New Year's resolution is to really allow myself to start reading again. I've decided to do the Happier podcast reading challenge this year: reading 21 minutes every day. I find small habits like these really add up over the long term. And so far in 2021, I've done it. Even if it means I have to stay up way later than I should.


If you're interested in what I read this year, here's the full list with links to my (very short) Goodreads reviews:


1. Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger by Nigel Slater 

2. Airhead: The Imperfect Art of Making News by Emily Maitlis

3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson 

4. The 8-minute Writing Habit: Create a Consistent Habit That Works With Your Busy Lifestyle (Growth Hacking for Storytellers) by Monica Leonelle

5. The Truth about Medium: Extraordinary Experiments with the Real Allison DuBois of NBC's Medium and Other Remarkable Psychic by Gary E. Schwartz with William Simon

6. Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture: A Novel of Mathematical Obsessions by by Apostolos Doxiadis

7. The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women by Hallie Rubenhold

8. How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

9. Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right by Jamie Glowacki

10. Oh Crap! I Have a Toddler: Tackling These Crazy Awesome Years—No Time-outs Needed by Jamie Glowacki

11. Babysitters Club Collection #1 by Ann M. Martin


What did you read and what would you recommend? Get in touch or comment. Happy reading in 2021! 

2 comments

  1. You got me curious and I had to look up what I read last year. I also read only 11 books. Some I did for research for my writing project. Then there were some fictions and some memoirs. In 2021, I need to do more reading and less droomscrolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely put a stop to the doomscrolling! That's funny you read the exact same number of books - I have a feeling both our tallies will be much higher in 2021.

      Delete

Back to Top